Thursday, March 11, 2010

Traditions, a Very Personal Post

One unique thing about me is my devotion to traditions. I think it comes from growing up in a very close family that values traditions. I could write an entire book about my family’s traditions so I’m just going to write about the traditions that Jeff and I have developed over the years. I think that it is important to have traditions because they can be the glue that keeps families together. And even though we don’t have children yet, it is very important to cultivate traditions just for us. It keep us close. Of course I’ve taken many of them straight from my family. And let’s not talk about Christmas traditions now because I could write a whole book about that too. I’ll wait until December to bore everyone with that!

Our Traditions:

Everyday when Jeff gets home from work we ask each other what we ate that day

Dinner together, at the table, pretty much every night

Going to every LA Kings game together, wearing something that is Kings colors, getting there early, and rooting for our team

Saying grace before dinner

During dinner we ask each other what the best and worst parts of the day were

A big breakfast on Saturday

montage1

Going to the zoo

Date night once a week

Fondue at home on Valentine’s Day

Anniversary dinners at Pane e Vino, where we had our first date

Backpacking trips with our two dogs

Naps, often

Visiting a national park that we have never been to every year

Praying before road trips

montage2

Jeff buying bagels and muffins on Saturday mornings

Visiting a water park once a year, staying until closing time, running around to the rides that stay open the latest, and begging to be the last person in line for our favorite rides

Whenever Jeff plays a late night hockey game, we get McDonald’s on the way home

Pizza Party Friday

Chips and dip while playing board games

Falling asleep to The Golden Girls

The funny part about this post is that when I was making a list of our traditions I asked Jeff to help. I brought it up while we were eating McDonald’s late one night after his hockey game. I’m not sure if that influenced his answer but his thoughts were, “guacamole and chips, hot dogs and burgers, and avocado salad!” I was like, “what about those things are traditions?” Jeff said, “We eat those a lot, and they’re delicious!”

What are some of your traditions with your spouse or significant other?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you and Jeff tell each other what you ate all day! That's too funny. I love the Golden Girls too! It's a really good show and doesn't get enough credit. Here are a few of our traditions:

    -Gabe cooking me dinner every Valentine's Day
    -Date night every Saturday night when he has the weekend off work
    -Falling asleep watching the Daily Show or Friends reruns
    -Gabe making coffee every morning and chatting while we drink our coffee and get ready for our day
    -Birthday celebrations every year at Baja Cantina (for both of our birthdays)
    -Bike rides on the beach on the weekends
    -Drinking Egg nog and Hot chocolate in December to get in the holiday spirit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and your traditions. It's too soon for us to have developed traditions but I'm waiting for that day!

    ReplyDelete