Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Top 5 Things I Miss About Maryland

5) The Seasons

I love the weather in LA. I've become quite accustomed to the nice, sunny weather. But there are times that I long for a good snow day (my husband didn't know what the term "snow day" meant until I explained it to him this year.) I also miss the Indian summer and the leaves changing color. I cannot lie though, I wouldn't trade the LA weather for Maryland weather any day. But the seasons are quite beautiful.

4) Butler's Orchard
copy
Since I was very small (I mean just starting to walk), my family would take me to Butlers Orchard to pick strawberries. Strawberries are my favorite fruit, I always have fresh strawberries on hand even now. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood, Jeff will get me a bowl of strawberries to cheer me up:) But the memories of picking our own strawberries are just as sweet as the fruit itself. I think it goes without saying that nothing tastes like fruit picked ripe off of the vine. But strawberries are not the only great part of Butler's Orchard. There are tons of fruits and veggies to pick or buy in their market. they also have country goods like local honey, fruit preserves, salad dressing (the Vidalia Onion is the best), and fresh fruit pies (I love the blackberry.) They also have a pumpkin patch and Christmas Trees!

3) The Redskins

No need for an explanation here. If you grew up in the DC area, you are probably a huge Redskins fan. It is just what we do there.

"Crab cakes and football! That's what Maryland does!"
-quote from Wedding Crashers

2) Maryland Blue Crabs

Oh the yumminess. I cannot really describe what it is to love eating blue crabs. It is a regional favorite. It is one of the only places in the country that people regularly get together, sit around a big, long table, and eat crabs for hours and hours. I like to eat mine with melted butter and lots of seasoning. And Old Bay and steamed, spiced shrimp. Oh gosh, why do I do this to myself? Sadly, my husband does not understand this unique cultural ritual. He won't even eat the crab unless I pick the meat out for him!

1) My Family and Friends

This is something that should go without saying. But the one reason that I wold actually love to move back home is to be close to my family and friends. I especially miss my nephew, Bradley, who is sixteen months old. I miss holidays and birthday dinners at home. I could go on and on and on with this but I'll just say that I hope to move back one day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment