Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010


I watched the opening ceremonies last night with my husband. As my friend Lau pointed out, I usually make him watch the ceremonies with me. In the case of the Winter Olympics though, he is really excited about the hockey so it is the other way around. Last night he gave me the run down of which NHL players are in the games, and which countries they are representing. I'm a hockey fan, but if someone isn't on the LA Kings, or dating a celebrity, I probably don't know his name or who he is. Anyhow, it was a lot of fun. I do have to say my heart goes out to the family of Nodar Kumaritashvili, the 21-year-old Georgian luger who was killed during a practice run yesterday. I spoke to my mom about it this morning and she had heard about the death but didn't know the cause. I told her it was during luging and she didn't know what that was so I tried my best to explain the sport in words. I did say it is one of the most dangerous sports in the world. She said she doesn't understand why people do things that are so dangerous but that at least he died doing something he was very passionate about and loved very much. She did feel very bad for his family. Then she went on to tell me about how frightened she used to be when I was in my teens and early twenties and I used to be an avid snowboarder. I don't think one can really compare the dangers of luging to snowboarding! But I get it, she's my mom. Maybe I'll feel differently about it one day when I have kids. So echoing my mom's sentiments, again my thoughts are with his family but at least he died doing something he loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment